On 05/22/14 07:08, Søren Pilgård wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 2:30 AM, Owen <rc...@pcug.org.au> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm creating some textures for 3d models using gimp.  I've been
>>> exporting as jpg
>>> with quality set at 100, but the file sizes are humongous.  What do
>>> you think is
>>> the best setting to bring down the file size with no noticeable loss
>>> of quality?
>>>

>> Well, I would simply experiment and decide what is "best for you"
>>
>> Open original, export as new-name1.jpg at say 70%
>> Then reopen original, and export as new-name2.jpg at say 60%
>> and so on
>>
>> Most of my saves are at 50%
>>
>> Why jpgs? What sizes do you get with pngs?
>>

> It is indeed hard to give a perfect number out of the box.
> The overall visual quality is very much dependent on what the image
> actually depicts and on what kind of compromise you can tolerate.
> A dirt texture can probably pull off a much lower quality than a
> smooth gradient.

First, make sure the image is down-sized to something like 1280 x 1024 or
less.  Then turn on the preview in the jpeg export dialog.  That will tell
you both how large the file will be, and you can view the preview to see
what it will look like.  Decrease or increase the percentage until you're
happy with the compromise.

Gary