Hi DocChloroplast,

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 5:52 PM, DocChloroplast <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>is this really with GIMP from www.gimp.org/downloads? If yes, what
>>exactly were you doing right before it crashed and can you please post
>>the complete error message?
>>
>>Kind regards,
>>
>>Sven
>
> Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, this was downloaded directly from the
> website. The program crashed today; this time I was saving an admittedly large
> file (after having saved it a few times before). Here is the output from
> EventViewer:
>
> Log Name:      Application
> Source:        Application Error
> Date:          7/1/2014 1:48:02 PM
> Event ID:      1000
> Task Category: (100)
> Level:         Error
> Faulting application name: gimp-2.8.exe, version: 2.8.10.0, time stamp:
> 0x529a15f8
> Faulting module name: gimp-2.8.exe, version: 2.8.10.0, time stamp: 0x529a15f8
> Exception code: 0xc0000005
> Fault offset: 0x00000000002888f2
> Faulting process id: 0x30ec
> Faulting application start time: 0x01cf947469ef153b
> Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe
> Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe
> Report Id: d870aace-0147-11e4-bebc-089e01d1f625
> Faulting package full name:
> Faulting package-relative application ID:

This kind of data is useless to debug. On the other hand, if you could
get us a stack trace of the time of the crash, this would help. Here
how to generate a stack trace:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Community/GettingInTouch/Bugzilla/GettingTraces
That howto is more UNIX-oriented, but I read that gdb runs on Windows
too, and apparently the MinGW-w64 project provides pre-built gdb in
their installer, if you don't have it yet:
http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/download.php
So you should be able to produce a stack trace this way.

If you can get this, then please open a bug ticket on our bugtracker:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GIMP
You will have to create an account if you don't have one yet.

Also when you say you have a new Windows 8.1 machine, is it to say you
had the same version of GIMP on a lower version of Windows? And when
you had this other installation, you didn't have that much crashes?
I say this because I own only a Windows 7 license. So if the crashes
occur exclusively on Windows 8, this may make debugging more
difficult. And I don't plan to buy a Windows license any time soon,
nor will I download illegal versions.

On the other hand, a small call to users: if anyone has legal Windows
version, which can legally be transfered to other people (which I
think disallow any OEM license tied to a computer, if not mistaken), I
(or some other GIMP dev) could install a Windows 8 in a VM to test and
debug.
As a reminder, we still have no dedicated Windows developer (as far as
I am aware). We are all mainly Linux developers.

Thanks.

Jehan