>An image size is expressed in pixels, not in bytes of file space,
>because this depends too much on compression algorithms and actual
>Since 500k-1MB is the usual disk space size for JPEG images around
>we will assume you are talking about 800Mpx images (25000x25000), 4GB
>once loaded....
>I don't think changing the algorithm is going to help much. What can
>done is cut your image into smaller images of manageable size (with
>possibly some overlap), apply the filter on each and then blend the
>Otherwise the GMIC authors hang out on gimpchat.com and on flickr

Thank you very much for your reply to my query.

Sorry about the incorrect expression for image size. The image I am working on
right now is 10328 pixels x 7760 pixels, about 69" x 52" (175 cm x 132 cm) at
150 pixels per inch, 230 mb in uncompressed RAW format.

Unfortunately applying the filter on smaller segments of the image then merging
them does not work as it would for a filter that produces an even effect over
all. The "flowing" pixel effect this filter produces results in unique patterns
for each segment and there is no cohesiveness to the patterns when pieces are

I have posted my query on gimpchat.com as well.

Thank you again for your input.

kentlytle (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)
gimp-user-list mailing list