Hi,

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Lee ann Hargrave
<leeannhargr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just so you understand, I am also getting virus notifications when
> downloading from the GIMP site as well.  I cannot get a clean download even
> from there.,  Can you send me a file that is not infected?

Well obviously the binary you get from the official website
(http://gimp.org) is supposedly NOT infected. I mean, that's so
obvious that I feel stupid just saying it (well, after, that's also a
question of trust. But if you don't trust the people behind GIMP,
don't ever download it, whatever the download source is).
I'm not the one who makes these builds, and I don't use them (since I
make my own builds), but I would trust them if I need.

I know we already had other reports of people telling us some
antivirus software would mistakenly flag the official GIMP binary as a
virus. We cannot do anything else about this than reporting this false
positive upstream, to the antivirus editor, for them to update their
virus database. Could you tell us what is this antivirus software so
that we try and contact them?

As for you, in the meantime, your solution is to bypass the antivirus
detection (if possible. I guess there must be a checkbox or button for
this?). That's a leap of faith, but you are already doing one by
trusting some antivirus software to tell you what is right and wrong,
based on some unknown (apparently problematic, in my opinion)
algorithm or database. Or blindly trust this software, thus simply
don't use GIMP, and search for an alternative Imagine
manipulation/drawing software.
That's up to you to do what you think is right. But there are no magic
solutions other than these two possibilities (well, actually a third
one is to build yourself from source, if you know how to do so).
Have fun!

Jehan