Hi,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 7:02 AM, billn <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:
> I am just curios. Is BABL and GEGL written only for Gimp? Is the code stable?

To complete what others have been telling you. Even though it is true
that GIMP was the primary reason to create babl and GEGL, I believe
GIMP being the only one using these is definitely not the intent. The
more software use these, the better it will be.
These are generic APIs, not tied to GIMP codebase in any way. And some
software are already making good use of these.

As for API stability, as Alexandre said, I think it can still evolve,
though it is reaching a state where it will move less and less, and I
believe the stability state is not too far. So that's a good time to
start, and if you are regularly coding on your own project and
checking out GEGL changes, that should not be too much of a problem.
Also clearly stability will gain from the more software using
different pieces from GEGL and reporting back any issue.
So this may not be the best API for one-shot projects (right now,
because it is meant to be too at some point), then forgetting about it
and hoping it will work the same for years. But it is definitely good
for long term projects, since you follow up regularly.

All this to say, go ahead if you want to use this, but keep an eye
regularly for evolution.

Jehan