> From: candeschu...@verizon.net
> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 23:44:27 -0400
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Selection to Layer
>
> New user here. running GIMP 2.8.10 on an old XP machine.
> Have downloaded 2.8.14 but holding off on the installation while learning.
> Al that aside.  Question,  How do I change a selection to a layer?
> Thankyou......Izzy

There are a few ways you can do this -- method one:

1 - Float the selection (this creates a 'floating layer' from that selection)
2 - Layers menu -> To New Layer

Method two:

1 - Copy the selection
2 - Paste As -> New Layer (this may lose its positioning on the image canvas, a
known issue)

-- Stratadrake
strata_ran...@hotmail.com