Here's a link to one portion of the image:

http://i.imgur.com/6RaV68i.jpg

On 12/4/2014 7:11 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
  If they can't resolve this, what are my chances of solving the problem
with GIMP? I tried a few of the existing filters without visible results.
My first Google searches haven't turned up a good detailed tutorial on
moire removal.

There's a G'MIC filter for it. But it depends on the exact nature of the pattern as to
what's best. I get them when scanning colour books, because of the way the books are
printed (it's actually unavoidable unless you use a "descreen filter" in the
scanner driver, but better to do it in GIMP). For that, separating into layers and using
gaussian blur is often best, but another possibility is to use wavelet decomposition and
delete that high frequency layers. G'MIC has a filter to do that, too.

If you can share a sample I can have a better look.