On 28.12.2014 16:05, Olivier wrote:

>> Appears things have changed with GIMP since I last downloaded and used the
>> program?  Not sure what your relationship is with Torrent, but as I was
>> instructed to download the latter in order to open the GIMP executable
>> file, I did so, only to find extraneous and undesired software loaded along
>> with it

>> Have removed all of Torrent and the other junk that came along with it.
>> Obviously, won't be using GIMP now or in future.

> On the first page of http://www.gimp.org/ you have a large download
> button,impossible to miss. Don't blame on GIMP your use of a
> malicious download site.

The issue is apparently to be a bit different - according to a short
mail exchange I had with the author of the initial message, he may have
been bitten by adware in a BitTorrent client (maybe even the
'BitTorrent, Inc.' one, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients#General )

The user has made a statement along the lines of "What has computing
come to?" and is unwilling to continue the mail exchange, so pursuing
this further is currently futile (i.e. I do not know what exactly he
downloaded and from where).

I have added a short explanatory line to the downloads page's Windows
section (http://testing.gimp.org/downloads/ - note that this adjusts to
the platform you use and shows only matching downloads by default).
The news item on http://www.gimp.org regarding modified installers of
GIMP itself has also been motivated by this mail.

P.S.
It is a bit disconcerting to see that two (or three, if you count Vuze)
GPL-licensed BitTorrent clients employ adware as well. Probably even
more disconcerting is that I have come across opinions that Windows
users are "to expect" or are "used to" or "deserve" adware in installers
these days.

--
Regards,
Michael