What do you mean by "bringing an open Excel window into focus to enter data
obtained from GIMP"?
We are using GIMP to calculate some values and then manually entering the data
in Excel.
Steps:1. Excel is active
2. GIMP is active - make measurements and note them down
3 Click on the Excel window so that it gets focus- i.e. it comes to the front
so that you can enter data4. Message pops up "GIMP has encountered a problem
and must close"
So GIMP has not been idle, nor is it on the other machine when it crashesThe
machines have a lot of free disk space - 3 Terabytes on Machine #1, about 1
Terabyte on Machine #2Memory is managed by Windows

The error log on machine #2 shows the following:Faulting application name:
gimp-2.8.exe, version:, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: libcairo-2.dll, version:, time stamp: 0xa340a328
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000235b4
Faulting process id: 0x1344
Faulting application start time: 0x01d03e91dbe5d19d
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\libcairo-2.dll
Report Id: df6c9434-ab43-11e4-8279-002590c1ee4d
Hope this is of some help

     On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 11:22 PM, Gary Aitken <g...@dreamchaser.org>

 On 02/03/15 19:06, David Scriven wrote:
> Dear All, I'm using GIMP (2.8.14, downloaded from your site) on two
> Windows 7 x64 machines (both fully up-to-date). Both have antivirus
> software and Office 2010 with Word, Powerpoint, Excel, etc. installed
> and active. On numerous occasions and while GIMP is being used
> Windows issues the message "GIMP has encountered a problem and must
> close". This usually occurs when one or more Office 2010 windows are
> also open. For example, a colleague working on machine (#1, 4 cores,
> 8 GB memory, HD Intel graphics)  found that bringing an open Excel
> window into focus to enter data obtained from GIMP was sufficient to
> crash GIMP and cause this message. (this is consistent and has
> happened many times). This has only just started occurring  -
> previously the user on machine 1 had used GIMP for the same task
> without problem (update to Office causing the problem??). I have now
> encountered the problem on machine #2 (16 cores, 64GB memory,
> high-end NVIDIA card) using GIMP and Powerpoint simultaneously,
> although I have not been able to identify a precipitating event that
> causes this.
> I have tried increasing the memory available to GIMP in both machines
> (via Edit/Preferences) but to no avail. The error message is
> virtually meaningless.  The crashes are frequent enough (about 1
> /hour) that is extremely irritating, never mind the loss of time and
> work. Any ideas? David

What do you mean by
 "bringing an open Excel window into focus to enter data obtained from GIMP"?
How are you trying to transfer the data (presumably an image) from GIMP
to Excel?

It sounds like you are not doing anything with GIMP leading up to the crash.
i.e. it has been sitting idle for some time.  Is that correct?

How much swap space (paging file size) does the system have?  Is it set to
fixed limits, or to "Let Windows Manage My Virtual Memory"?  How much free
disk space is there?

It sounds like you are bumping up against some system resource limit, but
which one is hard to tell.  Is there anything in the system error log?

gimp-user-list mailing list