While not disagreeing, yes the UFRaw plugin will convert .NEF images & that is
what I use.

It works in two ways, either I run UFRaw, open the file and when I have chosen
colour balance, exposure correction etc. it opens Gimp; or I open the file in
GIMP, which opens UFRaw first & I then proceed much as before.

In an ideal world we would have a Gimp that processed the deeper bit depth RAW
images.  Without that both UFRaw and using other programs to do the conversion
have the disadvantage of making the whole a two step process.

From my limited experience, I have not seen any great advantage in using
programs other than the UFRaw plugin.  Because I tend to use different
computers at different times, I prefer just being able to install and update
Gimp with UFRaw,  rather than having to look after more programs.

What I would suggest though is that if you do choose to use another program,
you convert the image to a suitable lossless format that Gimp will open, rather
than accepting multiple Jpeg encode/decode.

Just my two pence worth, you understand