Did you try to use the fuzzy select tool?  I just did a rough try at it and
it removed 95+% of the white.  Then a little touch-up with the eraser
should do it.  You didn't indicate whether you created the image or not.
If you did then I would suggest choosing a transparent background when you
reat the original and save it as a file type that supports transparency.

Dick