If you are trying to use this kind of effect, it is hardly to tell
GIMP is the right tool for the job -
You should create your text outlines in a vector based program  - like
Inkscape - for instance,
and paste them in GIMP for pixel based effects, if desired.

There _are_ ways of creating this effect in GIMP, as you found-out for
yourself, but adjusting the
created path/text is always cumbersome. In Inkscape it is even possible to
live-edit the text along a circle.