This could possibly be done with BIMP, but it's likely not the best tool to
achieve this across so many images.

Imagemagick is the more likely candidate for batch processing in this way.
There are a couple of clarifications, though.

If an image is <1000px on any side, should the image canvas size be
increased to meet your 1000x1000 px requirement?

ie: 800x600: center the 800x600 image on a 1000x1000 white background?  Or
just square it on a white background to the largest size dimension that is
<1000px?