On Sun, 2015-05-31 at 17:25 -0400, Jay Smith wrote:

> My primary question is whether there is a "particular bit that is
getting flipped" that could be "unflipped" by some sort of non-visual
editing of the source TIFF file?

> My secondary question is whether or not other people have seen this
type of problem crop up in large image libraries and what the causes
have been?

The nearest I have seen to this that i can remember involves software
changes - e.g. a different version of libtiff or whatever. For
example, recently some images on  http://www.fromoldbooks.org/appeared
to break, and it turned out to be a version of the jpeg library that
had stopped supporting arithmetic encoding (for software patent

TIFF is one of the more complex graphics formats in widespread use;
for my own part I prefer to use PNG because at least the core image
part is relatively simple and well-specified and widely supported.

If by any chance you have both an "uncorrupted" and a "corrupted" TIFF
file, and you know for sure what programs were used to create them and
on what platform (e.g. Linux on SPARC, Linux on Intel-64, 32-bit
Windows on Intel, etc) I'm willing to take a look, althogh I don't
think I have TIFF debugging stuff around any more.

It seems unlikely that the same single-bit error would happen on
multiple images because of a hard drive problem, especially if a RAID 3
or higher storage system didn't detect it. Not impossible - an
infinite number of monkeys typing for all eternity might all type
nothing except page 54 of the January 1936 Great Western Railway
timetable through Crewe - but I'd look for more likely causes first,
the most likely of which might be a software change.

Liam R. E. Quin <l...@holoweb.net>
The barefoot typographer

http://www.fromoldbooks.org/ - words & pictures from old books
gimp-user-list mailing list