That's happening because the program is not getting a discrete "mouse-up"
signal. Are  you using the mouse or a stylus-tablet? Most of the stylus-tablet
combinations I've used have a "click-lock" function. The most usual cause for
this problem is that something is calling that function, usually a setting in
the tablet software or button layout. For example, if you have a button near
the tip of the stylus set to click-lock, and you inadvertently press it
slightly, that could do it. The same sort of thing can happen with a mouse, or
a trackpad. One of the sneakiest ways is when you have a trackpad, but are
using the mouse or stylus, and unconsciously touch the trackpad—or even a key
on the keyboard. Is "caps lock" set?

If you've modified the keyboard commands, that could also cause a signal

First thing to do is quit, reboot, and relaunch GIMP. Normal system changes
sometimes cause temporary erratic behavior in some apps, and graphics programs
are particularly vulnerable, even the most robust. Make sure you have the
latest compatible device driver for your OS.

If the problem still occurs, does it occur with all input devices, or only with
one? In that case, check that device's settings. If the problem doesn't seem to
be there, check the system settings to make sure it is recognizing the device
properly. Finally, if possible, check the hardware by using another similar