On Thu, 23 Jul 2015 19:42:11 +0100
Pedro Albuquerque <palbuquerqu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to create a specific GNOME theme.
> When I try to change colours (menu Colours->Colorize(?) or Colour
> curves)  for png's in gtk3/assets, I get a message about not working
> with indexed layers.

At the top of the window, in the window manager title bar, you'll see, e.g.
  (clean socks.png (8bit indexed)
meaning the image uses a fixed "palette" of colours. You can edit the palette
directly, or for more creative changes, convert the image to RGB with
image/mode/RGB and then you can use as many colours as you like - but some
video cards, especially ones more than 20 years old, may have problems. Those
systems can't display most Web pages either.

> Another matter, I also tried a plugin for exporting to svg but I
> couldn't get it to work! :-(

My telepathy skills are on the blink today so I'm not certain which exact
plugin it was or what exactly went wrong. However, GIMP is a pixel-based image
editor, and SVG is a vector format. Use Inkscape to edit or create SVG.