> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 16:03:49 +0200
> From: 7egg...@online.de
> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP's "EGA" default palette (fwd)
>
> > Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 10:21:58 -0300
> > From: "Joao S. O. Bueno" <gwid...@mpc.com.br>
> > To: Richard <strata_ran...@hotmail.com>
> > Cc: "gimp-user-list@gnome.org" <gimp-user-list@gnome.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP's "EGA" default palette
> >
> > Thanks.  I have never heard that before (and so far am unable to find any
> > citations about it).
> >

 > Now at the same time, clearly this is not the set of 16 colors by
which EGA is most commonly known.  Shouldn't we have a palette for that?
 ;)

> I missed some postings, but I have documentation about EGA cards.
>
> The colors were from a palette of 64 colors, with each bit corresponding
> to a separate wire. Low-intensity colors have a high
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_monochrome_and_RGB_palettes#6-bit_RGB
>
> [ . . . ]

I have already read through that article (plus a few others on the matter).

And it only took a few minutes to set up my own .gpl palette with the 16- and
64-color CGA/EGA palettes, before I originally posted the question.

I still wonder about the peculiar choice of hues in ega.gpl (yes you did cover
that already, I just haven't found anything to corroborate it) ... but for now
I think to avoid personal confusion I'll just drop that default palette from my
GIMP setup.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ran...@hotmail.com