On 09/14/2015 10:23 AM, steveyraff wrote:
> Hey guys,
> So, I am designing graphics for a product. The image I am using is of a
> friends
> painting. I also have a photo of thats friends signature - wrote with black
> pen
> on a white page.
> Is there anyway I can paste the writing only (without the white page
> background)
> on top of the artwork image? The signature is wrote in black pen, so I'd need
> import the signature and then change its colour to white, so that it will show
> up over the artwork.

The basic answer is, to put the text image on a layer above the
painting, and with that layer 'current', and do Colors > Color to
alpha, converting white pixels to clear ones.

On a slightly more grungy practical note, the "white" paper with the
signature is far from that.  It might pay to start by doing Colors >
Desaturate on the text bearing layer, to simplify the situation.
Then do Filters > Generic > Erode to "thicken" the lines of the
signature a bit.  Then do Colors > Brightness / Contrast and dial
the contrast way up to isolate the black lines on a white
background, THEN do Colors > Color to Alpha to make the white

A bit of cropping (Layers > Crop layer to selection), and some work
with the Eraser tool to remove the not-clear region to the left of
the signature, should give you a plain black signature to lay on top
of the painting.

It may also pay to duplicate the finished signature layer; invert
the color of the lower copy; apply a bit of blur, and move the
lower, white-line layer around a little to provide a contrasting
outline behind the black signature, if a more visible & legible
presentation of the signature is wanted.

Or some such thing; lots of approaches are possible.

gimp-user-list mailing list