On 15-09-18 09:23 AM, Liparis wrote:
When I open a photograph in it, it appears as a small thumbnail that I'm
unable to do anything with.

That sounds like the typical problem of opening a RAW file from a digital camera when you don't have a plug-in to handle the RAW file format.

I think you need either the dcraw or ufraw plug-in for GIMP in order for it to be able to open the photograph files. Without knowing which operating system you are using I can't offer more specific help.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.