None that I'm aware of -- lists a "Script-Fu Migration Guide" but
that is relative to GIMP 2.4 (when GIMP switched script-fu engines) and not up
to date with current versions.

In the case of gimp-selection-load specifically, the one parameter is a channel
handle and I assume it operates on the 'current' image (which is probably the
reason for its deprecation).  The three parameters to gimp-image-select-item

1 - target image handle
2 - Type of operation to perform on the target image (add/subtract/etc.)
3 - Source item to operate from (layer, channel, etc.)

All these parameters make sense.  Your image handle is provided automatically
when executing your script, CHANNEL_OP_REPLACE or CHANNEL_OP_ADD is probably
what you want to fill in for parameter 2, and parameter 3 can take the channel
handle just like the older function.

-- Stratadrake