On 10/20/2015 12:41 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:

No, I don't use Inkscape for the stuff described below.  The program
is Scribus.

Sory about the brain fart, the rest of the post seems to be correct.
 Inkscape is a vector editor - one I have spent waaay to much time
using lately, making labels for machine tools.  :D

Here's the program I "meant to" suggest:  http://www.scribus.net/

> I use Inkscape to prepare images for commercial printing:  This is a
> Free desktop publishing program.  Sorry about the "first get this
> other program and learn how to use it" answer, but if you do you
> will be glad you did.
> Open Inkscape and start a new file, open File > Document Setup, and
> select double sided.  Set the width & height, etc. as the job
> requires, to match the dimensions of the stock it will be printed
> on.  Save the file early & often, of course.
> Set up guide lines to position your images on the pages, and for
> each image do Insert > Insert Image Frame.  Right click inside the
> resulting frame and select Get Image.  (I typically export my images
> from the GIMP as PNG files, after building them to scale so that at
> full size they are 300 DPI; i.e. an image 2" x 2" would be 600 x 600
> pixels.)  Once you have got the image in the frame, right click in
> the frame again and select Adjust Frame To Image.  Then drag and
> drop the frame into place as indicated by the guide lines you set up
> earlier.
> You can add cut marks using guide lines and the simple drawing tool
> in Inkscape.
> When both pages are done, save the file then export it as PDF @ 300
> DPI (or whatever the native resolution of your images is).  Open it
> up with a PDF viewer, check your work, and if possible print a
> double sided test sheet to verify alignment of the two sides.
> That's about all there is to it.  If your print vendor has other
> specifications, Inkscape will be able to accommodate them - but PDF
> is pretty much universal and expected.
> :o)
> Steve

gimp-user-list mailing list