On Sat, Nov 7, 2015, at 09:26 AM, Ofnuts wrote:
> On 07/11/15 12:40, akovia wrote:

> >> Stroke the path with a 1px brush and autocrop the image
> >>
> >> Without stroking it could be slow because you have to follow the path
> >> pixel by pixel and keep min/max coordinates. To do it a lot faster you
> >> can instead keep the min/max coordinates of anchors and handles but if
> >> this guarantees that you get a rectangle that contains the path, in the
> >> general case it won't be the tightest fit.
> >>

> >> Thanks for the reply Ofnuts,
> >> What I was looking for was to expand the canvas to accommodate a path.
> >> The inverse is easy as I just load path to selection and then crop to
> >> selection. It has always seemed instantaneous to me.
> >>
> >> I trace out elements in a picture and continue my path outside the
> >> canvas to restore elements that were either cropped off or were never
> >> there. I end up with a path that goes beyond the bounds of the canvas
> >> and have to just take a stab of how big to enlarge the canvas to make it
> >> fit. I usually just go overboard and use the technique I described
> >> above, but I do it enough that a function to expand/fit canvas to path
> >> would be extremely helpful. I'm guessing this just isn't possible with a
> >> script/plugin at this point.
> >>

> OK, see ofn-fit-canvas-to-path on
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-path-tools/files/scripts/
>
> Actually a mix of Bodo's ideas and mine. First compute a rough bounding
> box using path coordinates, resize the canvas to this, then crop using a
> selection on the path for a tighter fit.
>
> If you want to be able to add a margin just ask.

!!!
Just tried this now and already can't live without it.
You have my utmost thanks. Truly!

I saw you already added the margin option as well which is extremely
useful for me.
If I could make one suggestion, it would be to duplicate or replace the
menu items to the vector menu as that's where I would use it from as I
want to select which path to set it to.

No worries if not as I can hack the script for my personal needs, but I
think it would be better served in that menu.

Thanks for putting a smile on my face. After your first response I
thought it was kinda hopeless.

Cheers!
--
  akovia