On Tuesday 01 December 2015 02:23:07 Jack Denman wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 01:49 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 December 2015 00:27:57 Jack Denman wrote:
> > > I am still learning about digital photography. I developed my
> > > first roll of film in 1946, by hand in my grandmothers bathroom.
> > >
> > > Since I am learning masking techniques, I wonder if someone could
> > > explain the contradiction of these two scripts.
> > >

> > > This web page has a download link of a script from "Download from:
> > > Google Drive" at produces a file called
> > > "patdavid-luminosity-masks-2.scm"
> > >
> > > http://blog.patdavid.net/2013/11/getting-around-in-gimp-luminosity
> > >-mas ks.html
> > >

> > > This file cannot be used because when copied into
> > > .gimp-2.8/scripts/ the script entry is not visible on the
> > > pull-down menus of gimp.
> >
> > Did you set the execute permissions, and do you have the first
> > lines "she-bang" interpreter installed?

Thats slang for the #!/bin/bash or #!/bin/python, #!/path/to/whatever
as the first line of the file.  Its the interpreter that the script is
intended to be executed by.

I must confess I am not familiar with the requirements of a ".scm' file,
so my advice is to be seasoned as needed. :)

> Yes the execute bit is set. I do not know what you mean by the
> "she-bang" interpreter. Can you explain what that is?
>
> > > On the other hand the older script called "Luminosity_masks.scm"
> > > does work from some older web pages and does cause the scripts
> > > pull-down menu to appear. When the channels menu is invoked from
> > > this script the other masks disappear.

Compare the first line on the file that works, with the first line of the
one that does not. I believe its case sensitive.  If you post both lines
as a straight copy/paste, perhaps someone with better knowledge that I
can illuminate the problem.

I do not know what you mean by "other masks disappear".

> > > Can someone explain this? Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)