Steve Kinney <ad...@pilobilus.net> writes:

>On 12/02/2015 06:43 PM, Jeffery Small wrote:

>> One other thought I had was to duplicate the layer and then convert that
>> layer from text to graphics, however I don't see any way to accomplish
>> this.

>I think that's the best solution.  In the Layers dock, right click
>the text layer and select Duplicate Layer.  Then right click on the
>new layer and select Discard Text Information.  You might then click
>in the small box with a paint brush icon just above the layer
>thumbnails in the same dock:  That locks the layer's alpha channel,
>preserving the transparency of the empty part of the new layer no
>matter what you smear on the part with text.

Steve:

Thanks for the tips regarding Discard Text Information and the Alpha
Channel Lock.  I have tried this and it still is not working.  When I
first did this and tried to clone from another layer, I realize that the
converted text layer was just the bounding box for the text and I could not
clone from outside this region, so I then did a Layer to Image Size.  From
testing, it looks like this operation by itself discards text information
if you didn't already do that step yourself.  In any case, I am unable to
draw at all on the converted text layer.  Not only can I not clone, but I
cannot use Bucket Fill or draw with a pencil or brush.  I can draw on all
other layers, but not this one.

I feel as though I'm missing something basic here.  Any other ideas?

BTW, If it matters, I'm using GIMP 2.8.14 on an Xubuntu 15.10 system.

Regards,
--
Jeff