I should like to apologise for not communicating sufficiently clearly.  To
clarify, may I please respond to the four (I think!) misunderstanding of my
comments shown below.  For clarity and ease of reference, relevant extracts
from the various comments are shown below.

1) Of course Messrs. Natterer and Pagès are right that, when people are working
on the same document/file/picture, the saving of their work has to be
compatible between the group.  However, unless this is done by a commercial
organisation providing the same machines with the same versions of all the
software on those machines to all the participants in the group, there are
likely to be all sorts of variants.  This is likely to particularly so where
the group participants are independents, with differing machines on different
operating systems where the only unifying characteristic is working on the same
document/file/picture using the same application.

In the latter circumstance, there are likely to be different versions of GIMP
in use.  In this instance, Mr. Simončič wrote:
"I've seen that, but what I specifically meant was a File -> Export option that
writes XCF compatible with older GIMP versions, possibly losing data in the
process (which is why it'd be Export, not Save)."

As an illustration, I wrote "Using LibreOffice, one of the major benefits of
that package is that it will open and save as the same nearly all document
formats, both old and new. When one has document files 18 years old, this is a
major benefit, giving continuity to one's work."

To clarify, and this is only using LibreOffice since April, 2013, the suite
allows one not only to open files in both old and diverse formats but also to
save them in the same old formats.  If there is loss of information in saving
in the old format, LibreOffice warns you of this and the user has to make a
positive decision to carry on using the old format, but is allowed to do so by
the application.

To echo Mr. Simončič's point, adding this ability to save in older GIMP formats
could be very useful where, as outlined above, for perfectly valid reasons,
different members of the same group have differing versions of GIMP.

2) Regarding Mr. Pagès' response, hopefully I have explained above why my
comments are not off-topic.

3) Regarding Mr. Peck's comments about OpenOffice, I can't comment.  When I
looked at open source Office software, I deliberately chose LibreOffice because
that had remained open source.  By the same token, I rejected OpenOffice
because Oracle had tried to make it proprietary, as a result of which the
programmers left and set up LibreOffice.  My comments about using LibreOffice
can be verified by anyone downloading it and using it.

4) I found Mr. Prokoudine's comment disappointing.  Not being in a court of law
or a policeman, I have not "accused" anyone of anything.  I merely asked a
question, offering people a chance to reflect a moment.  Further, as I have
tried to explain above, I have paid attention to Mr. Simončič's point, which I
was trying to reinforce.  Clearly I didn't explain it properly, for which I
have already apologised above.

HTH