On 16/12/15 14:36, Jogchum Reitsma wrote:
Hi,

Using GIMP 2.8.16 on openSuse Tumbleweed, I try to draw some
text-on-path on a photo-image. In itself that is easy and successful,
but when I want to export this to .png or .jpg, the photo is exported,
but the text is not visible.

In the preview of the export it is, but not in the final result.

Funny thing - at least for me - is that the text doesn't seem to sit on
a layer - if I make both layers (the one with the original text, not yet
placed on a path, and the one with the photo-image) invisible, the
text-on-path is still visible.

Probably I do something wrong, but can anyone point me to what that
might be?

The text you see is a "Path". It is an indication like the marching ants you see for the selection. It has to be stroked (Edit>Stroke path) or filled (Select>From path and bucket-fill selection) to become "physically" part of the image.

For an introduction to paths: http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-using-paths.html