You have to locate the actual GIMP application. If I recall my Windows days
correctly, right clicking or Control-clicking on the application should bring
up a menu which has a "make shortcut" item, or similarly named. Then just drag
the shortcut to your desktop.

Same procedure for the GIMP doc.

Ross