>GIMP 2.9.2 can open NEF files but unfortunately since the NEF format
>is based on the TIFF format, GIMP ends up opening it as a tiff and
>hence the thumbnail.
>
>If you have dcraw in your path, then don't use autodetect, select NEF
>from the format menu and then click on NEF.
It has been true since I began using Gimp that if I tried to open a NEF file,
UFRaw would be launched first.  For the life of me, I cannot remember how I
indicated to Gimp that I wanted to use UFRaw since that has been so long ago.
Now I do not know how to invoke UFRaw for a NEF file within Gimp.  If I depend
on Gimp to open the NEF, every time I want to open a NEF file, I have to reset
the File Type from Automatically Detected to NEF.  That is a real pain.  By the
way, I am using Ubuntu 14.04 x64.

--
cscj01 (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)