Ofnuts - I shall need more help with doing this using a script.

that the path can be closed in the usual way, and then move what had
been intended to be the end node on top of the start node. This hack
will create a path segment between the start end and nodes with the
expected zero values, but it will be a closed path.

>> Not closing path nodes may not always create an issue when using
paths to generate bitmapped images, but it may  when e.g. stroking
paths, and the otherwise unnecessary data can be a tad messy when
exporting paths.

>> Another workaround (good for OCD types) is perhaps to place the end
node on the start node, export and edit the path data adding a close-
path flag, and then import it back into Gimp.