As a long time Photoshop user, I have to agree. One thing you'll discover
fairly quickly, I think, is the way GIMP handles brushes. I've been using GIMP
for over a year, and the brushes palette still causes occasional consternation.

But it's absolutely worth it. I liked PS, thought it a good program, but I
wouldn't have it back if it was free.

I also recommend The Book of Gimp by Lecarme and Delvare. Saved me a lot of
pulled hair—and I'm bald. =^D