Just revisiting this to see if it can get a little love.
I don't stroke every path I make, but when I do I am still faced with a
lot of extra work to repair the handles. I've given this a bit more
thought on how to fix this issue and came up with two ways that maybe
can work together.

1. A setting or a keyboard modifier that prevents handles being pulled
out when placing nodes.

2. A threshold slider in the strokes dialog to ignore handles within a
certain margin.

The first option would help prevent problems when creating the path.
The second would overcome previously created paths, or fix problems when
dragging out handles by accident when manipulating the path by the line
instead of by the handles themselves.

Here is a full size example of a render I did. If you zoom in to 100%
and follow the path around, you can see how many problems there are. I
understand it only takes 5-10 mins to go back and fix, but it really is
frustrating.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93550827/Forums/gimp-nodes1.jpg

Cheers

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014, at 08:02 PM, akovia wrote:

> > > https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93550827/temp/path-nodes.jpg
> >
> > Wow. I don't know what happens there. Gut feeling: buggy cairo...

> > > Yeah, I am very aware of that. It's probably a bad habit but it always
> > > produced expected results with the old path tool so it's kinda ingrained
> > > in me now. I am always aware when I pop out the opposing handle in any
> > > meaningful way, but this happens at such a small scale that I never know
> > > it till I'm trying to stroke something.
> >
> > note that "old path tool" is slightly misleading, the only thing that
> > has changed somewhat recently is the way the handles are drawn.
> >
> > Bye,
> >         Simon
> >
> That makes perfect sense actually. The precision problem of grabbing
> nodes happened in the old tool/handles as well. If there is anything I
> can do to help this along I'm happy to try.
>
> --
>   akovia

  akovia