On 02/13/2016 11:04 AM, Rick Strong wrote:
> I checked the Gotprint site. PDF is an acceptable format to send to
> them. When I design magazines I send out PDFs to the printers.
> Photos should be 300 dpi, CMYK tiffs if you can, not jpegs. "RGB
> must be converted to CMYK for print." Artwork CMYK, 600 dpi or
> better.  Output all to PDF if you can. No compression, i.e. highest
> resolution.

My installation of GIMP 2.8.10 throws an error message and writes an
empty file when I try to export to PDF.  I don't normally do that,
so I never noticed until just now.

Scribus is really the "right tool" for a PDFing job.  You can tweak
everything about the PDF file - size of print area, DPI, how
embedded images are saved, vectorization of fonts, etc., via the
document and export settings.  I use PNG files for image content
when assembling layouts in Scribus.

Inkscape completes a "trinity" of Free graphics power tools:  It's a
vector editor, for tasks like making logos that will be re-used at
many sizes in many formats, labels for offset printing, silk screen
designs, etc.  Inkscape can export its native vector files, with or
without embedded bitmaps, to PDF.

gimp-user-list mailing list