>The installer from gimp.org will not run without administrative
>privileges
>(you can't write to Program Files if you're not Administrator anyway),
>so
>something else must be the problem.
>
>koalaballah: open Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Users\<your
>username>
>and delete the .gimp-2.8 folder (this will reset all the settings),
>then
>try running GIMP again.

Thank you so much for the suggestion.  I wonder if that would have worked.  I
ended up going nuclear and reset my computer to factory settings.  Everything is
running smoothly now.  It was something that I kinda wanted to do anyway.

Thank you everyone for your help, and sorry to everyone who might have the same
problem some time in the future.

--
koalaballah (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)