>Try this:  Go to Edit > Preferences > Folders > Fonts, and see if
>the system wide fonts directory is listed.  If so, remove it,
>restart the GIMP and see if you have /any/ fonts available.  If not,
>you can put copies of the fonts you want to use in the GIMP in its
>own font directory, and that should do the deed.
>
>It should be possible to reorder the font listing in the GIMP by
>renaming the font files, i.e. add 01, 02, etc. to groups you want to
>see listed first, second, etc.
>
>:o)

The System wide fonts directory is not listed in GIMP preferences. Also:

Alas, I cannot rename any of the font files in /System/Library/Fonts. While I
can rename files in /Library/Fonts/, that has no effect on GIMP's list of fonts.
Similarly, adding fonts (of any name) to the two GIMP folders (share, and user)
also has no effect on GIMP's list of fonts.

Bummer. :-(

--
Snowyn (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)