Don't use GIMP to scroll through fonts, use Font Book.app. It is
designed to let you search, organise and manage your fonts.

OSX is preventing you from doing something harmful. Ordinarily you
ought not remove and/or rename System files, nor (as a rule) whould you
add files to the OSX System/Library. Most OSX fonts are not located in
/System/Library/Fonts, but are by default located in Library/Fonts, but
it is also probably a bad idea to change the file names for fonts in
this location too. However, if you are set on this appraoach then you
will probably be better to copy/duplicate font files accross to
/Users/your_user_name/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8/fonts, and
make any changes to the font file names in this location.