It isn't clear why you want to replace <dir>/Library/Fonts</dir> with
><dir>/Users/your_user_name/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.
8/fonts</dir> as this file path is already defined in GIMP > Fonts >
Font Folders preferences.

On OSX there are 4 default files paths in fonts.conf, which could be
commented out. The fonts.config file is here: /Applications/GIMP.
app/Contents/Resources/etc/fonts.

However, GIMP will not display any fonts, unless you also e.g. populate
/Users/your_user_name/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8/fonts with
some fonts.

Gimp)