It wasn't me who first suggested modifying fonts.conf. Indeed, I am
probably against this approach.

I suggest it may be easier, (and as you know you can create
collections, which is what I think you wished GIMP could do) to use
OSX's Font Book.app to browse for a font, and then to use GIMP's text
tool options to select it by entering its name (or part thereof) using
the font selector's text-field selection tool.

-u

So even