Short answer: This dialog is used because there may potentially be more than
one image open with unsaved changes.

Long answer: First, a few questions...

1 - Are you running GIMP in single-window mode or not?
2 - How many image windows did you have open?
3 - What command/shortcut did you use to close the window and/or exit GIMP?

Because here's the scenarios that may be in play:

1 - If you are simply closing the window, then in single-window mode this is
interpreted as exiting GIMP entirely while in multiple-window mode it is
interpreted as closing only that window (not exiting GIMP).
2 - In multiple window mode, when you close the last open image GIMP does not
exit at this time but instead leaves behind an empty placeholder window (in
case you need to open a new image, etc.).  You have to close the empty window
to actually exit GIMP.
3 - If you have multiple image windows open and you try to close all windows
and/or exit GIMP, there may be more than one image open with unsaved changes.
This is why the particular dialog shows a list of open images and only has
choices to discard all changes or cancel.

However, I do agree that the current logic is flawed and needs discussion --
the following points in particular:

- In single-window mode, multiple images are displayed as a row of tabs
(comparable to Internet browsers); however, when only one image is open the tab
bar is not shown -- leaving the user without a VISIBLE button to close only
that window (because hitting the standard Close button will exit GIMP
entirely).  Yes there is the menu command and the keyboard shortcuts work, but
this is the touchscreen era.  Other applications handle this scenario in
various ways -- e.g. Firefox always displays the tab bar even when only one tab
is open, Office displays a secondary Close button on the right side of the
menubar (distinct from the window's main Close button).

- When only one image is open, regardless of whether the user is closing the
window or exiting GIMP, GIMP should ALWAYS use the single-image version of the
"unsaved changes" prompt (i.e. save/discard/cancel) instead of the
multiple-images version (list of images, discard/cancel).

- The multiple-images version of the "unsaved changes" prompt should include,
in its list of open images, buttons to save the individual images directly from
this prompt.

-- Stratadrake