> From: st...@gavatorta.com
> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 00:55:02 +0000
> CC: su...@susanbolden.com
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Merging Two Images
> Anyone,
 I'd like to learn steps on how to merge  two images into one. As an
example I'd like to merge the two attached (Coal &
Gavatorta_footer_Banner) to ultimately look like something in the
attached (IDOA4).
> Essentially I'd like to learn the steps to merge my banner
> (gavatort_footer_banner) at the bottom of images (like Coal).
 Any help on listing the basic steps to do this would be greatly
appreciated. I'm a novice so easy step by step process would be perfect.
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Regards,
> Steve

Attachments aren't allowed in the GIMP mailing list, the list removes them.
That aside....

There are a few methods for compositing multiple images together in GIMP, but
all of them have one thing in common: layers.

Start by opening your first image in GIMP.  Then, from the File menu, select
"Open as Layer" and load your second image.  This will load the second image as
a separate layer from the first.

>From here, you can use the Move tool to shift the position of one image
>relative to the other.  (At any time, you can go to the Image menu and select
>"Fit Canvas to Layers".  This ensures that your image canvas is large enough
>to hold both layers at once so that they don't appear cropped to some smaller

You should also become familiar with the Eraser tool and alpha channels.  Look
at the Layers list in the toolbox (the default position should be to the
right); if any layer names are in bold then this means they don't have
transparency support, so you'll need right-click the layer and select "Add
alpha channel" to ensure they have one -- this is important to use the eraser
tool properly.

Anyway, with the eraser tool you can just select a brush shape and then start
carving away any segments of the top (overlay) layer that are supposed to be
transparent.  If you make a mistake no big deal, just hold Alt to activate
"anti-erase" mode and fix it by erasing over the area again.

-- Stratadrake

List address:    gimp-user-list@gnome.org