On Tue, 2016-06-07 at 16:48 -0600, ZP wrote:
> On 6/7/2016 1:07 PM, Jack Denman wrote:
> > I attempted to colorize a B&W image.
> >
> > I can't get the darker colors to approximate the actual colors. Everything
> > is
> > too light in color.
> >
> > What is this about an alpha layer with coloring the B&W?
> Hey Jack,
> I'm just a lurker normally, but thought I could point you to a few
> tutorials. Both use multiple layers and layer masks to constrain the
> color to certain areas (i.e. skin, clothes, etc.)
> The first tutorial uses multiple copies of the B&W photo (each a
> separate layer), and utilizes the 'colorize' tool to adjust colors on
> each layer. The masks are used to easily adjust the area of effect, so
> for example, if I'm getting shirt color bleed-over into the skin area, I
> just adjust the mask for the shirt color, not the actual photo. Link:
> http://www.tutorialgeek.net/2012/11/use-gimp-to-create-color-photos-from.html
> The second uses solid colors for each layer on top of the original
> photo. Each layer is set to 'multiply' so the original photo still shows
> underneath. Again, masks are used to restrict the color area for each
> layer. Note the layer names: skin, clothes, eyes, etc.
> Link:
> http://emptyeasel.com/2008/10/24/how-to-digitally-color-a-black-white-photogra
> ph-in-gimp/
> As you can tell, masks are used for both these techniques, so you'll
> need to understand how that works, if you don't already. LINK:
> https://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Layer_Masks/
> For your problem of not finding the right color, both techniques should
> allow you to adjust the color of each individual layer using saturation,
> color adjustment, or transparency adjustment on the color effect of each
> layer. It really is just a matter of experimentation.
> ZP.

Thanks for the tips. It did help. However there is a black and white image below
the color. so it's impossible to get saturated colors like a real color
photograph. It does work in a limited way. The colorize menu does allow for more
flexible color. Does anyone know how to use the alpha layer in colorizing B&W

Jack Denman <cashm...@roadrunner.com>

gimp-user-list mailing list