> From: rs...@comcast.net
> Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 07:04:03 -0400
> To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Selection Lines Still Visible After Merge
>
> Never mind — I unchecked Show Selection in the View menu and it went away.
> —Rick

Simply toggling "show selection mask" off isn't quite enough in GIMP as
the selection is still present and will affect subsequent tool
operations -- look for the "Select None" command in the Edit menu and
memorize its keyboard shortcut.

This is because in GIMP, the selection mask (or simply 'selection') is an
actual part of the image (independent of layers) and therefore remains in place
until you explicitly tell GIMP to unselect.  This is different from other
applications (such as a word processor) where the selection isn't a 'thing' in
and of itself and thus disappears automatically when you're no longer using it.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ran...@hotmail.com