On Saturday 23 July 2016 05:41:29 Michael Schumacher wrote:

> On 07/22/2016 10:32 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > But when I hit the help menu, up pops the help for 2.6!  So I fire
> > up synaptic and check to see if I am out of date, because the
> > "context help" doesn't work at all.  Yup, I'm up to date allright,
> > got gimp-2.8.2 but the doc files are for 2.6.x.  Debian wheezy at
> > your service, NOT.
>
> Well, actually you are not up-to-date at all - this is because you
> choose to run the oldstable Debian release.
>
> This also means you're missing most of the bug fixes that have
> happened in 2.8 since 2.8.2 has been released (minus some security
> fixes, maybe).
>
> > Did this train lose its conductor a few stops back?  Or how can I
> > back it up to when it Just Worked(TM) quite a bit of the time?
>
> You should check whether you can and want to upgrade to a more current
> Debian release. Or, in train terms: check if you want to board a train
> that is actually going somewhere, instead of the museum train that's
> running around in circles on its closed track.

True, but I am stuck with a distribution that can run LinuxCNC, which has
a need for a real time capable kernel. The guys are working on it but so
far have not managed to get good enough IRQ response with kernels post
3.4.9-55 to run stepper motors direct, they have to be delegated to
specialized control cards that run from $90 to 3 or 400, depending on
the complexity of the machine being controlled.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)