I installed Gimp 2.8.16 (from gimp-2.8.16-setup.exe) and Gimp-help 2.8.2 (from
gimp-help-2-2.8.2-en_GB-setup.exe) on Windows. Both were installed to the folder
"C:\Program Files\GIMP 2". However, when I run Gimp and select Help from the
Help menu, I get a dialog telling me that "The gimp user manual is not installed
on your computer", and giving me the option to use the online version. When I
have a look under "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2", the help files have been installed
to "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\help\en_GB".

On a hunch I renamed en_GB to en, and the help system then works. So it looks
like the British English help cannot be seen by Gimp unless it's install folder
is renamed.

--
NickP (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)