That's because you cannot simply take an executable in the Mac world and
drop it anywhere (even if it's the "right" place) and expect it to work. It
doesn't happen that way.

If you wish to try a Mac GIMP build which includes G'MIC latest version and
latest GIMP, then try my McGimp builds available at my website. The latest
G'MIC from David is always part of the 2.9.x McGimp series.

HTH,
Partha