On 8/12/2016 05:26, Keith wrote:
> I have been using Windows Movie Maker to do this but the mp4 file it produces
> is huge.  Can I use Gimp just to compress a large mp4 file  to a smaller one?

mp4 is just a file container, in itself has no compression options.
Ffmpeg would probably be the cross-platform tool of choice to extract
(demux) the streams from an mp4 file and to re-encode in an efficient
codec.  There exists (at least on win32) GUI front ends to ffmpeg to
make the command line a little less intimidating.  On Win32, if X264
video encoding works for you, the freeware Handbrake is probably the
most recommended solution.

scott s.
.