Several years ago I wrote a gimp plug-in for automatically restoring images from
scanned colour slides or prints that had faded or acquired a colour cast with
age.  Several people contacted me saying they found it useful.  I have now
produced a new version which I believe works better.  The plug-in software and a
document with technical details and examples can be downloaded from  The old  version has been
renamed Restore1 and the new version is Restore2.  Although it will not be of
direct interest to GIMP users there is also a stand-alone python version.

geoff (via
gimp-user-list mailing list