What I typically do is, using the Ellipse Selection Tool, I make a selection of
whatever size I need the circle to be and fill it with a color. From there, I
make a smaller selection within the first circle and clear it (Delete key or
Edit > Clear). Also, make sure that anti aliasing is checked while doing this.

Btw, what method are you using to make the circle? Are you making a path and
then stroking? If so, make sure you're using the paint brush tool and not the
pencil. That may help as well.

Sent from my iPhone