Do control+e to open the Export menu, type in a file name ending in
.bmp, and click the magic button...

I was not aware that .bmp images can be indexed; the most common indexed
format is .gif.  Depending on the number of colors in the .bmp image,
.gif may give acceptable results and a much smaller file size on disc.

The logical reason to convert a .bmp file to an indexed format would be
to get a that smaller file size for the same size image - .bmp uses /no/
compression to reduce file size, and the result is /big/ image files,
while .gif uses an efficient file compression method (that's what
indexing is, more or less).

Check here for lots more details - also other pages in the same part of
the website:

https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-images-out.html

:o)