>ferren wrote:
>The language has probably been set in your user-specific
>configuration,
>which is intentionally kept through a reinstall, so that all your
>customisations are retained.
>If you don't mind manually editing configuration files:
>- Close GIMP
>- Open the file ~/.gimp/gimprc in a text editor (in case you're not
>familiar with the conventions, ~ represents your personal home
>directory; .gimp is a hidden directory so if you're using a graphical
>file browser you might have to type the name into the address bar or
>set
>an option to show hidden files)
>- There is probably a line looking something like:
>     (language "el")
>- Change that line to:
>     (language "en_GB")
>- Save the file
>- Start GIMP; hopefully it's now in UK English
>
>If you'd prefer a different dialect of English, the other options are
>"en_CA" for Canadian and "en_US" for American.
>
>If you can manage enough of the GUI in Greek, you'd be looking for:
>- Edit > Preferences (although I think Mac has a different convention,
>so this might be something like GIMP > Preferences)
>- Interface (second item in the left side of the preferences dialog)
>- The top option in the right side is "Language"; select your
>preferred
>dialect of English; each language has the code in square brackets
>after
>that, so you'll be looking for an option including "[en_GB]",
>"[en_CA]"
>or "[en_US]" (whichever dialect you prefer)
>- Click "OK" (middle of the 3 buttons at lower right of the dialog
>- Hopefully GIMP is now in English

On the Mac, it now goes GIMP > Protimeseis > Diepaphe > Glossa > [en_(GB)], (ιe,
GIMP > Preferences > Interface > Language > [en_GB]). So far, so good.
There was no ~/.gimp file, so I created an empty .gimp folder, in the hope that
the above sequence would inspire creation of a configuration file. This has not
happened, and GIMP stays in Greek after restart, with [en_(GB)] still selected.
locate .gimp  turned up no other .gimp file stored elsewhere.

--
ferren (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)