(1)  Create a new image of any size (200 x 200 for example).
(2)  Click the "+" by Advanced options, and note the "Fill with:" combo box
/ dropdown.
(3)  Click OK.
(4)  Go to Layer -> Transparency -> Add alpha channel (if you didn't select
it during (2)).
(5)  Go to Image -> Canvas Size.
(6)  Change it to 300 width and 300 height, and click "Center".
(7)  Select "All layers" under "Resize layers:"
(8)  Click "Resize".

Note that there is a transparent border around the 200 x 200 center.  It
would be nice to have the same "Fill with:" option available in (2) under
the "Advanced Options".

Best regards,
Rick C. Hodgin